read the transcript!
If you can’t reproduce a bug, sometimes you need to comb through the logs for clues. Some tips:
- filter out irrelevant lines (for example with grep -v)
- find 1 failed request and search for that request’s ID to get all the logs for that request
- build a timeline: copy and paste log lines (and your interpretations!) into a document
- if you see a suspicious log line, search to make sure it doesn’t also happen during normal operation
- if there’s a cascade of errors, find the first error that started the problems
© Julia Evans 2021 | All rights reserved (see the FAQ for notes about licensing)